Thursday, March 14, 2013

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (Part 1)



Hello folks! So I love, love, love reading and here are some of the insights from a book I've read recently.

Don't sweat the smalls stuff at work
Richard Carlson

It's funny because this is tailoring his other book “don't sweat the small stuff” to the workplace... and now I'm switching it back! But I don't have the original book. Oh well! Here is what I learned and what I will be trying to apply into my life.

Here are my favorites from the first half of the book. 

Dare to be happy.
You don't have to be angry and stressed to be successful. It's ok to be happy, kind, patient, more relaxed and forgiving. It's to your advantage personally and professionally.

Don't dramatize the deadlines.
Usually, this has not been a problem for me. But over the past few weeks it has. I need to let things happen when they need to happen, and I suggest you do too!

Have some “no phone” time. (And some no Facebook time!)
My best friend Nelson suggested this one to me a while back, and I've applied it this week. I'm loving life. A lot of pressures are gone when you're not worried about EVERYONE ELSE. “Being popular on Facebook is like being rich in Monopoly”



Join the new club “TGIT” Thank goodness it's today!
Be happy where you are at!
Don't rush things!

Light a candlestick instead of cursing the darkness.
Nothing ever sucked so bad complaining about it didn't make it worse. I promise. 

Don't sweat the demanding boss. (or professor, or teacher, or coach!)
Has it ever occurred to you that the most demanding people are often the ones who push you out of your comfort zone and help you rise to a new level of competence?”

Don't take the 20/80 rule personally. (HUGE one for me!)
The 20/80 rule: 20 percent of the people do 80 percent of the work. My oh my, I've seen this is true EVERYWHERE! At school, at work, at church, in the country in general.
BUT!
That 20 percent that does the bulk of the work can't be bitter, or they will become angry.
Carlson quotes his friend who says “I'm not an overachiever. It's just that most people are underachievers.” ha. Hahaha.
We can't have that way of thinking or we'll drive ourselves insane! 

Examine your rituals and habits (and be willing to change some of them).
How can you fix anything if you don't know what you're doing wrong?
Don't do things a certain way “because that's the way they've always been done” 
If something bugs you, change it!

Also, Examine and recognize patterns of behavior in others and remember them.
No, this is not stereotyping, it's avoiding stress.
A person who is cheap is almost always cheap. A person who is always late needs to be told a time 10 minutes earlier. A person who easily forgets needs to be reminded. If you remember these things and get ready for them, you will avoid a lot of stress.  


Never, ever backstab. (or gossip!)
Also, be willing to forgive those who did it to you. It's much easier to love than to hate. And some of the people I've hated most for something they did to me are now some of my best friends. 
Those who talk about others with you talk about you with others.

See beyond roles/titles. 
People are more than what they're supposed to do or a title they hold.

Realize the power of good report. 
When people love you and trust you, they will use you. And love you more. 
The best way to establish rapport with someone is to assume that you don't have it. In other words, don't take for granted that simply because you know someone or that because you've done business with them before, your rapport is intact. Instead, take the time to reconnect. Be more interested in listening than speaking. Be highly respectful and courteous. Demonstrate your sincerity and your genuine concern. Ask questions and be patient. They key to rapport is to make the person you are speaking with (or speaking t) feel as though he or she is the most important person in your life at that moment. You want to be so present with them- so genuine that they feel special. You can't fake this type of sincerity; you have to be real”

Avoid the tendency to put a cost on personal things.
Carlson tells a lovely story about how his dad took a day off of work to help him move. 
He told his dad "Dad, this is the costliest move you've ever made," referring to the fact that it would have cost must less for his dad to stay at work, make money, and hire someone else to help his son.
“Rich, you can't put a price tag on spending time with your son. There's nothing in the world I'd rather be doing than spending time with you” was his dad's response.
What a great dad. I want to be a person like him.

 Sincerely love others. 
This isn't one that he wrote about in those words, but I lumped a bunch of them together to say this.
Really when you do this, life is so much easier. 

Remember. You don't “deserve” anything.
Another one I made up. As soon as you say the words "I deserve to [do this] or [spend money on that]" You are WRONG!




These are the lessons I am going to try to apply to be a little more happy, and have a little less stress. I suggest you give them a shot too. What have you got to lose- except a little stress?

Stace






No comments: